| ©2018 St. Blasius Old Parish Church, Shanklin

Some Other Mysteries Church & Manor Church Interior An Incomplete List Church From Outside

The Church From Outside

The building The    octagonal,    shingled spire   houses   one   of   the two   bells   of   the   church, and   was   constructed   as part        of        the        mid- 19th century    expansion. The   new   entrance   is   by the   South   East   porch,   which   is   guarded   by   a   wrought iron    gate    placed    as    a    memorial    to    the    Reverend Kenneth   Parkinson,   rector   of   the   parish   from   1971   - 1990.    The    old    doorway    into    the    church    is    now    the internal   one   between   the   Parish   Room   and   the   nave.   In addition   to   the   rough   carving   of   a   crusader's   cross,   the original hinge mountings may still be seen. Looking   at   the   building   from   the   outside,   traces   of   the original   chapel   can   still   be   found   by   the   diligent.   The masonry   of   a   single   light   window   on   the   South   side,   to the    right    of    the    present    porch,    is    12th    century    and there   are   traces   of   a   chevron   ornament   at   the   foot   of each jamb. The    flints    embedded    in    the    wall    surrounding    the chancel   are   local,   from   the   Downs,   and   were   part   of the original chapel. The church in its grounds In    personal    Reminiscences    by    an    Old    Inhabitant    we read,   "The   high   road   to   Bonchurch   was   round   by   Shop Lane,    now    called    Pomona    Road,    up    the    farm    lane through    the    farmyard    at    the    West    end    of    the    Old Church..." "The   only   direct   approaches   to   the   church   were   two footpaths   across   the   Great   Mead,   one   from   the   corner opposite   Holm   Cottage,   the   other   entering   by   a   wicket gate   about   halfway   up   the   farm   lane.   There   being   no burying-ground     except     when     any     member     of     the Popham    or    Hill    families,    both    of    which    have    vaults within the sacred edifice." In   Village   Churches   of   the   Isle   of   Wight,   Ron   and   Pat Winter   write,   "Before   the   coming   of   the   motor   car   and the    development    of    the    Isle    of    Wight    to    its    present busy   level,   the   site   of   this   old   church   must   have   been serenely   peaceful.   Even   today   with   cars   whizzing   along the   road   from   Shanklin   to   Ventnor,   and   the   occasional aircraft    buzzing    overhead,    the    place    is    tranquil    and relaxing.    A    hundred    years    ago    with    no    mechanical noises     to     intrude,     the     peace     must     have     been complete." In   its   position   close   to   the   Manor   (now   apartments),   by Big   Mead,   the   old   Manor   grounds   and   the   duck-filled pond,   the   church   has   remained   particularly   fortunate. The   traditional   group   of   church   and   Manor   remains   as it has been through the centuries. The churchyard The   churchyard's   air   of   antiquity   is   a   little   misleading as,   apart   from   the   Manorial   families,   the   burials   took place between the 1850s and the 1920s. The first found in the records was: "J    G    L    Burbidge,    second    son    of    James    Ive    and Eilleen   Burbidge   of   Arundel   Terrace,   Bainsbury   died 26th July 1859 aged 17." and the last was: "Sybil    Mona,    a    Holden    of    Bramscote,    wife    of    F. Burgess   Watson   RN   and   mother   of   Elizabeth   Mary and Anne, born 17 Nov. 1887, m 29 Dec 1909, d 23 May 1926." However,     Margaret     White-Popham,     who     died     in September   1929,   is   buried   in   the   family   tomb   to   the North of the church. All   the   burials   are   to   the   right   of   the   path,   which   leads past   the   church   to   the   Downs,   to   the   North,   East   and West   of   the   building.   To   the   South,   in   addition   to   the rhododendrons     and     the     memorial     plantings,     is     a Garden    of    Remembrance    in    which    ashes    may    be buried.   The   area   is   marked   with   a   small,   flat   memorial slab. This   garden   was   dedicated   in   1977,   and   families   and friends   may   plant   a   variety   of   bushes,   trees   or   flowers in   the   flowerbeds   bordering   the   path   in   memory   of those whose ashes are buried in the garden. The lych-gate Most   visitors   will   approach the     church     through     the lych-gate,   which   was   given by       the       residents       of Shanklin     in     1894     as     a memorial         to         Francis White-Popham,      the      last resident   Lord   of   the   Manor.   The   hand   wound   clock   and the bell are unusual features. The rhododendrons When   the   huge   bank   of   rhododendrons   to   the   South East    of    the    church    is    in    full    flower,    the    sight    is unforgettable.   These,   in   seven   colours,   were   planted   in 1923.   They   flourished   and   grew   so   that   in   the   twenty first   century   they   continue   to   provivde   a   brilliant   area of colour in May and June. The    churchyard    as    a    whole    is    a    wonderful    place    in which   to   remember   the   departed,   among   the   squirrels, rabbits,   snowdrops   and   daffodils.   For   the   bereaved   or for   the   users   of   the   footpath   to   the   Downs   (through the   lych-gate,   past   the   church   to   your   right   and   onward into   farmland   over   the   stone   stile   at   the   South   West) there    are    the    pleasures    of    a    peaceful    garden    and memorial     seats     should     they     wish     to     rest     and contemplate.
Some Other Mysteries Church & Manor Church Interior An Incomplete List Church From Outside

| ©2018 St. Blasius Old Parish Church, Shanklin

Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons

The Church From Outside

The building The   octagonal,   shingled   spire   houses   one   of   the   two   bells   of   the   church,   and   was constructed   as   part   of   the   mid-19th century   expansion.   The   new   entrance   is   by   the South   East   porch,   which   is   guarded   by   a   wrought   iron   gate   placed   as   a   memorial   to the   Reverend   Kenneth   Parkinson,   rector   of   the   parish   from   1971   -   1990.   The   old doorway   into   the   church   is   now   the   internal   one   between   the   Parish   Room   and   the nave.   In   addition   to   the   rough   carving   of   a   crusader's   cross,   the   original   hinge mountings may still be seen. Looking   at   the   building   from   the   outside,   traces   of   the   original   chapel   can   still   be found   by   the   diligent.   The   masonry   of   a   single   light   window   on   the   South   side,   to the   right   of   the   present   porch,   is   12th   century   and   there   are   traces   of   a   chevron ornament at the foot of each jamb. The    flints    embedded    in    the    wall    surrounding    the    chancel    are    local,    from    the Downs, and were part of the original chapel. The church in its grounds In   personal   Reminiscences   by   an   Old   Inhabitant   we   read,   "The   high   road   to   Bonchurch   was   round   by   Shop   Lane,   now   called   Pomona Road, up the farm lane through the farmyard at the West end of the Old Church..." "The   only   direct   approaches   to   the   church   were   two   footpaths   across   the   Great   Mead,   one   from   the   corner   opposite   Holm   Cottage,   the other   entering   by   a   wicket   gate   about   halfway   up   the   farm   lane.   There   being   no   burying-ground   except   when   any   member   of   the Popham or Hill families, both of which have vaults within the sacred edifice." In   Village   Churches   of   the   Isle   of   Wight,   Ron   and   Pat   Winter   write,   "Before   the   coming   of   the   motor   car   and   the   development   of   the   Isle of   Wight   to   its   present   busy   level,   the   site   of   this   old   church   must   have   been   serenely   peaceful.   Even   today   with   cars   whizzing   along   the road   from   Shanklin   to   Ventnor,   and   the   occasional   aircraft   buzzing   overhead,   the   place   is   tranquil   and   relaxing.   A   hundred   years   ago with no mechanical noises to intrude, the peace must have been complete." In   its   position   close   to   the   Manor   (now   apartments),   by   Big   Mead,   the   old   Manor   grounds   and   the   duck-filled   pond,   the   church   has remained particularly fortunate. The traditional group of church and Manor remains as it has been through the centuries. The churchyard The   churchyard's   air   of   antiquity   is   a   little   misleading   as,   apart   from   the   Manorial   families,   the   burials   took   place   between   the   1850s and the 1920s. The first found in the records was: "J G L Burbidge, second son of James Ive and Eilleen Burbidge of Arundel Terrace, Bainsbury died 26th July 1859 aged 17." and the last was: "Sybil   Mona,   a   Holden   of   Bramscote,   wife   of   F.   Burgess   Watson   RN   and   mother   of   Elizabeth   Mary   and   Anne,   born   17   Nov.   1887,   m 29 Dec 1909, d 23 May 1926." However, Margaret White-Popham, who died in September 1929, is buried in the family tomb to the North of the church. All   the   burials   are   to   the   right   of   the   path,   which   leads   past   the   church   to   the   Downs,   to   the   North,   East   and   West   of   the   building.   To   the South,   in   addition   to   the   rhododendrons   and   the   memorial   plantings,   is   a   Garden   of   Remembrance   in   which   ashes   may   be   buried.   The area is marked with a small, flat memorial slab. This   garden   was   dedicated   in   1977,   and   families   and   friends   may   plant   a   variety of   bushes,   trees   or   flowers   in   the   flowerbeds   bordering   the   path   in   memory   of those whose ashes are buried in the garden. The lych-gate Most   visitors   will   approach   the   church   through   the   lych-gate,   which   was   given by   the   residents   of   Shanklin   in   1894   as   a   memorial   to   Francis   White-Popham, the   last   resident   Lord   of   the   Manor.   The   hand   wound   clock   and   the   bell   are unusual features. The rhododendrons When   the   huge   bank   of   rhododendrons   to   the   South   East   of   the   church   is   in   full flower,   the   sight   is   unforgettable.   These,   in   seven   colours,   were   planted   in   1923. They flourished and grew so that in the twenty first century they continue to provide a brilliant area of colour in May and June. The   churchyard   as   a   whole   is   a   wonderful   place   in   which   to   remember   the   departed,   among   the   squirrels,   rabbits,   snowdrops   and daffodils.   For   the   bereaved   or   for   the   users   of   the   footpath   to   the   Downs   (through   the   lych-gate,   past   the   church   to   your   right   and onward   into   farmland   over   the   stone   stile   at   the   South   West)   there   are   the   pleasures   of   a   peaceful   garden   and   memorial   seats   should they wish to rest and contemplate.
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons HOME ABOUT US SERVICES EVENTS HISTORY COMMUNITY PRIVACY NOTICE CONTACT
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons

The Church From Outside

The building The   octagonal,   shingled   spire   houses   one   of   the   two bells   of   the   church,   and   was   constructed   as   part   of the   mid-19th century   expansion.   The   new   entrance   is by    the    South    East    porch,    which    is    guarded    by    a wrought    iron    gate    placed    as    a    memorial    to    the Reverend    Kenneth    Parkinson,    rector    of    the    parish from   1971   -   1990.   The   old   doorway   into   the   church   is now   the   internal   one   between   the   Parish   Room   and the    nave.    In    addition    to    the    rough    carving    of    a crusader's   cross,   the   original   hinge   mountings   may still be seen. Looking   at   the   building   from   the   outside,   traces   of   the   original   chapel   can   still   be   found   by   the diligent.   The   masonry   of   a   single   light   window   on   the   South   side,   to   the   right   of   the   present   porch,   is 12th century and there are traces of a chevron ornament at the foot of each jamb. The   flints   embedded   in   the   wall   surrounding   the   chancel   are   local,   from   the   Downs,   and   were   part   of the original chapel. The church in its grounds In   personal   Reminiscences   by   an   Old   Inhabitant   we   read,   "The   high   road   to   Bonchurch   was   round   by Shop   Lane,   now   called   Pomona   Road,   up   the   farm   lane   through   the   farmyard   at   the   West   end   of   the Old Church..." "The   only   direct   approaches   to   the   church   were   two   footpaths   across   the   Great   Mead,   one   from   the corner   opposite   Holm   Cottage,   the   other   entering   by   a   wicket   gate   about   halfway   up   the   farm   lane. There   being   no   burying-ground   except   when   any   member   of   the   Popham   or   Hill   families,   both   of which have vaults within the sacred edifice." In   Village   Churches   of   the   Isle   of   Wight,   Ron   and   Pat   Winter   write,   "Before   the   coming   of   the   motor car   and   the   development   of   the   Isle   of   Wight   to   its   present   busy   level,   the   site   of   this   old   church must   have   been   serenely   peaceful.   Even   today   with   cars   whizzing   along   the   road   from   Shanklin   to Ventnor,   and   the   occasional   aircraft   buzzing   overhead,   the   place   is   tranquil   and   relaxing.   A   hundred years ago with no mechanical noises to intrude, the peace must have been complete." In   its   position   close   to   the   Manor   (now   apartments),   by   Big   Mead,   the   old   Manor   grounds   and   the duck-filled   pond,   the   church   has   remained   particularly   fortunate.   The   traditional   group   of   church and Manor remains as it has been through the centuries. The churchyard The   churchyard's   air   of   antiquity   is   a   little   misleading   as,   apart   from   the   Manorial   families,   the burials took place between the 1850s and the 1920s. The first found in the records was: "J   G   L   Burbidge,   second   son   of   James   Ive   and   Eilleen   Burbidge   of   Arundel   Terrace,   Bainsbury died 26th July 1859 aged 17." and the last was: "Sybil   Mona,   a   Holden   of   Bramscote,   wife   of   F.   Burgess   Watson   RN   and   mother   of   Elizabeth Mary and Anne, born 17 Nov. 1887, m 29 Dec 1909, d 23 May 1926." However,   Margaret   White-Popham,   who   died   in   September   1929,   is   buried   in   the   family   tomb   to   the North of the church. All   the   burials   are   to   the   right   of   the   path,   which   leads   past   the   church   to   the   Downs,   to   the   North, East   and   West   of   the   building.   To   the   South,   in   addition   to   the   rhododendrons   and   the   memorial plantings,   is   a   Garden   of   Remembrance   in   which   ashes   may   be   buried.   The   area   is   marked   with   a small, flat memorial slab. This   garden   was   dedicated   in   1977,   and   families   and   friends   may   plant   a   variety   of   bushes,   trees   or flowers   in   the   flowerbeds   bordering   the   path   in   memory   of   those   whose   ashes   are   buried   in   the garden. The lych-gate Most    visitors    will    approach    the    church    through    the lych-gate,   which   was   given   by   the   residents   of   Shanklin in   1894   as   a   memorial   to   Francis   White-Popham,   the last   resident   Lord   of   the   Manor.   The   hand   wound   clock and the bell are unusual features. The rhododendrons When   the   huge   bank   of   rhododendrons   to   the   South East    of    the    church    is    in    full    flower,    the    sight    is unforgettable.   These,   in   seven   colours,   were   planted   in   1923.   They   flourished   and   grew   so   that   in   the twenty first century they continue to provide a brilliant area of colour in May and June. The   churchyard   as   a   whole   is   a   wonderful   place   in   which   to   remember   the   departed,   among   the squirrels,   rabbits,   snowdrops   and   daffodils.   For   the   bereaved   or   for   the   users   of   the   footpath   to   the Downs   (through   the   lych-gate,   past   the   church   to   your   right   and   onward   into   farmland   over   the stone   stile   at   the   South   West)   there   are   the   pleasures   of   a   peaceful   garden   and   memorial   seats should they wish to rest and contemplate.
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church