| ©2018 St. Blasius Old Parish Church, Shanklin

Some Other Mysteries Church & Manor Church Interior An Incomplete List Church From Outside

Other Features Of The

Church Interior

The Entrance The   visitor   coming   into   the   church   by   the   main South   door   will   immediately   notice   the   font,   the pulpit   and   the   cruciform   shape   of   the   building. The    shape    dates    from    the    mid-19th    century rebuilding   when   the   North   and   South   transepts were   added   with   the   Baptistery   (now   the   Parish Room),   and   the   old   chapel   was   elongated   to   the West, where the organ loft is now. The Font Some twentieth century guidebooks have referred to the font as "modern" but in the vellum register containing Records of baptism, from 1724 (mentioned in Mr. Hewson's memorandum of the neighbourhood) the date is given as 1697. Certainly, the stonemasons who moved the font when the Baptistery was transformed into the Parish Room said that the stonework was much older than the Victorian mortar, which had been used to hold it together. Part old, part modern, massive and plain, it now stands opposite the entrance in the South transept - a symbol of entry into the Church by baptism. The Pulpit The   impressive   pulpit   is   raised   in   the   South   East corner   of   the   transept   and   is   clearly   seen   from all   parts   of   the   church.   It   was   made   in   the   mid- 19th   century   at   the   time   of   the   rebuilding   and refurbishment,      using      older      (probably      17th century)    panels    of    strong    Flemish    or    German carving. Shown    in    the    five    panels,    in    order    from    the steps, are: 1. St. Peter with his keys and book. 2. St.    Thomas,    patron    saint    of    builders, with his block. 3. A    smaller    central    panel    of    the    Virgin with the infant Jesus. 4. St.    Bartholomew    with    the    knife    used when he was flayed alive. 5. St.   Paul   with   an   enormous   Sword   of   the Spirit. The Sanctuary and the Chancel The      panelling      and      pavement      around      the Sanctuary   dates   from   1912   and   is   a   memorial   to the   Reverend   Barry   Cole,   curate   and   rector   of the parish for 42 years. The   panels   of   the   Ten   Commandments,   on   either side    of    the    East    window    were    painted    in    the 1950's   by   Len   Dunkinson   who   was   organist   and choirmaster at the church for some years. The stalls in the chancel, now used by the choir, were originally for the use of the Lords of the Manor. The kneeler by the altar rail begins the raised sanctuary area, and half conceals five fine black memorial slabs to members of the Popham family. The present kneeler cushions were embroidered by Mrs. Anne Burnett and dedicated for use in 2003. The new level makes the priests' 12th century sedile (seat) too low to be used. Next to the sedile may be seen a 12th century trefoil piscine for washing the sacred vessels. At the crossing are two fine reproduction Jacobean chairs and two kneeling desks for the use of the priest and reader. The kneeling desks were constructed from old oak panels brought from Brittany. A table with Jacobean legs, formerly used as the altar, is now in the clergy vestry. The Parish Room The former baptistery was converted to a Parish Room in 1997, the work being designed and supervised by Eric Walsh, churchwarden. With the exception of the double glazing units, which had to be specially made, all the work in creating this facility was carried out by local craftsmen. The Parish Room not only houses the Silksted chest, it also contains a number of photos and engravings of the church in the past, and a case containing a family Bible of the Popham family, dating from the late eighteenth century. The Church's Silver The church possesses five chalices; the two early ones are in the shape of early drinking cups with no stems; the earliest, 1681, has a crest on it; the other, dated 1855, has the letters I.H.S. The three later ones are: one dated 1940 with the initials K.E.A.R. and L.C.R; one dated 1965 and in memory of Alma James Newman Nice, for nearly fifty years a chorister one from 1992, given by Mary Smith in memory of her son. There are four assorted patens: the largest is from 1823 and marked "Shanklin Chapel". There is a silver-plated flagon dating from 1855, the gift of George and Jeanette Forbes; this has a bulbous base ringed with two bands, one of which has in Latin the words, "This is my blood of the New Testament shed for many", the other has a pattern of grapes and leaves. The    silver    wafer    box    was    given    in    memory    of Frances    Carrie    Cooper    who    died    in    1952,    a member   of   the   church   for   82   years.   There   are three   communion   sets   for   the   sick,   one   of   which, made   in   1893,   has   a   beautiful   miniature   chalice, paten   and   flagon,   and   was   originally   presented to a Rev. C. J. Whitehead.
Some Other Mysteries Church & Manor Church Interior An Incomplete List Church From Outside

| ©2018 St. Blasius Old Parish Church, Shanklin

Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons

Other Features Of The Church Interior

The Entrance The   visitor   coming   into   the   church   by   the   main   South   door   will   immediately   notice   the   font,   the   pulpit   and   the   cruciform   shape   of   the building.   The   shape   dates   from   the   mid-19th   century   rebuilding   when   the   North   and   South   transepts   were   added   with   the   Baptistery (now the Parish Room), and the old chapel was elongated to the West, where the organ loft is now. The Font Some   twentieth   century   guidebooks   have   referred   to   the   font   as   "modern"   but   in   the   vellum   register containing    Records    of    baptism,    from    1724    (mentioned    in    Mr.    Hewson's    memorandum    of    the neighbourhood)   the   date   is   given   as   1697.   Certainly,   the   stonemasons   who   moved   the   font   when   the Baptistery   was   transformed   into   the   Parish   Room   said   that   the   stonework   was   much   older   than   the Victorian   mortar,   which   had   been   used   to   hold   it   together.   Part   old,   part   modern,   massive   and   plain,   it now stands opposite the entrance in the South transept - a symbol of entry into the Church by baptism. The Pulpit The   impressive   pulpit   is   raised   in   the   South   East   corner   of   the   transept   and   is   clearly   seen   from   all   parts of   the   church.   It   was   made   in   the   mid-19th   century   at   the   time   of   the   rebuilding   and   refurbishment, using older (probably 17th century) panels of strong Flemish or German carving. Shown in the five panels, in order from the steps, are: 1. St. Peter with his keys and book. 2. St. Thomas, patron saint of builders, with his block. 3. A smaller central panel of the Virgin with the infant Jesus. 4. St. Bartholomew with the knife used when he was flayed alive. 5. St. Paul with an enormous Sword of the Spirit. The Sanctuary and the Chancel The    panelling    and    pavement    around    the    Sanctuary    dates    from 1912   and   is   a   memorial   to   the   Reverend   Barry   Cole,   curate   and rector of the parish for 42 years. The   panels   of   the   Ten   Commandments,   on   either   side   of   the   East window   were   painted   in   the   1950's   by   Len   Dunkinson   who   was organist and choirmaster at the church for some years. The stalls in the chancel, now used by the choir, were originally for the use of the Lords of the Manor. The kneeler by the altar rail begins the raised sanctuary area, and half conceals five fine black memorial slabs to members of the Popham family. The present kneeler cushions were embroidered by Mrs. Anne Burnett and dedicated for use in 2003. The new level makes the priests' 12th century sedile (seat) too low to be used. Next to the sedile may be seen a 12th century trefoil piscine for washing the sacred vessels. At the crossing are two fine reproduction Jacobean chairs and two kneeling desks for the use of the priest and reader. The kneeling desks were constructed from old oak panels brought from Brittany. A table with Jacobean legs, formerly used as the altar, is now in the clergy vestry. The Parish Room The former baptistery was converted to a Parish Room in 1997, the work being designed and supervised by Eric Walsh, churchwarden. With the exception of the double glazing units, which had to be specially made, all the work in creating this facility was carried out by local craftsmen. The Parish Room not only houses the Silksted chest, it also contains a number of photos and engravings of the church in the past, and a case containing a family Bible of the Popham family, dating from the late eighteenth century. The Church's Silver The church possesses five chalices; the two early ones are in the shape of early drinking cups with no stems; the earliest, 1681, has a crest on it; the other, dated 1855, has the letters I.H.S. The three later ones are: one dated 1940 with the initials K.E.A.R. and L.C.R; one dated 1965 and in memory of Alma James Newman Nice, for nearly fifty years a chorister one from 1992, given by Mary Smith in memory of her son. There are four assorted patens: the largest is from 1823 and marked "Shanklin Chapel". There is a silver-plated flagon dating from 1855, the gift of George and Jeanette Forbes; this has a bulbous base ringed with two bands, one of which has in Latin the words, "This is my blood of the New Testament shed for many", the other has a pattern of grapes and leaves. The silver wafer box was given in memory of Frances Carrie Cooper who died in 1952, a member of the church for 82 years. There are three communion sets for the sick, one of which, made in 1893, has a beautiful miniature chalice, paten and flagon, and was originally presented to a Rev. C.J. Whitehead.
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons HOME ABOUT US SERVICES EVENTS HISTORY COMMUNITY PRIVACY NOTICE CONTACT
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons

Other Features Of The Church Interior

The Entrance The   visitor   coming   into   the   church   by   the   main   South   door   will   immediately   notice   the   font,   the pulpit    and    the    cruciform    shape    of    the    building.    The    shape    dates    from    the    mid-19th    century rebuilding   when   the   North   and   South   transepts   were   added   with   the   Baptistery   (now   the   Parish Room), and the old chapel was elongated to the West, where the organ loft is now. The Font Some    twentieth    century    guidebooks    have    referred    to    the    font    as "modern"   but   in   the   vellum   register   containing   Records   of   baptism, from     1724     (mentioned     in     Mr.     Hewson's     memorandum     of     the neighbourhood)   the   date   is   given   as   1697.   Certainly,   the   stonemasons who   moved   the   font   when   the   Baptistery   was   transformed   into   the Parish    Room    said    that    the    stonework    was    much    older    than    the Victorian   mortar,   which   had   been   used   to   hold   it   together.   Part   old, part   modern,   massive   and   plain,   it   now   stands   opposite   the   entrance in the South transept - a symbol of entry into the Church by baptism. The Pulpit The   impressive   pulpit   is   raised   in   the   South   East   corner   of   the   transept   and   is   clearly   seen   from   all parts    of    the    church.    It    was    made    in    the    mid-19th    century    at    the    time    of    the    rebuilding    and refurbishment, using older (probably 17th century) panels of strong Flemish or German carving. Shown in the five panels, in order from the steps, are: 1. St. Peter with his keys and book. 2. St. Thomas, patron saint of builders, with his block. 3. A smaller central panel of the Virgin with the infant Jesus. 4. St. Bartholomew with the knife used when he was flayed alive. 5. St. Paul with an enormous Sword of the Spirit. The Sanctuary and the Chancel The      panelling      and      pavement      around      the Sanctuary   dates   from   1912   and   is   a   memorial   to the   Reverend   Barry   Cole,   curate   and   rector   of the parish for 42 years. The    panels    of    the    Ten    Commandments,    on either   side   of   the   East   window   were   painted   in the   1950's   by   Len   Dunkinson   who   was   organist and choirmaster at the church for some years. The stalls in the chancel, now used by the choir, were originally for the use of the Lords of the Manor. The kneeler by the altar rail begins the raised sanctuary area, and half conceals five fine black memorial slabs to members of the Popham family. The present kneeler cushions were embroidered by Mrs. Anne Burnett and dedicated for use in 2003. The new level makes the priests' 12th century sedile (seat) too low to be used. Next to the sedile may be seen a 12th century trefoil piscine for washing the sacred vessels. At the crossing are two fine reproduction Jacobean chairs and two kneeling desks for the use of the priest and reader. The kneeling desks were constructed from old oak panels brought from Brittany. A table with Jacobean legs, formerly used as the altar, is now in the clergy vestry. The Parish Room The former baptistery was converted to a Parish Room in 1997, the work being designed and supervised by Eric Walsh, churchwarden. With the exception of the double glazing units, which had to be specially made, all the work in creating this facility was carried out by local craftsmen. The Parish Room not only houses the Silksted chest, it also contains a number of photos and engravings of the church in the past, and a case containing a family Bible of the Popham family, dating from the late eighteenth century. The Church's Silver The church possesses five chalices; the two early ones are in the shape of early drinking cups with no stems; the earliest, 1681, has a crest on it; the other, dated 1855, has the letters I.H.S. The three later ones are: one dated 1940 with the initials K.E.A.R. and L.C.R; one dated 1965 and in memory of Alma James Newman Nice, for nearly fifty years a chorister one from 1992, given by Mary Smith in memory of her son. There are four assorted patens: the largest is from 1823 and marked "Shanklin Chapel". There is a silver-plated flagon dating from 1855, the gift of George and Jeanette Forbes; this has a bulbous base ringed with two bands, one of which has in Latin the words, "This is my blood of the New Testament shed for many", the other has a pattern of grapes and leaves. The silver wafer box was given in memory of Frances Carrie Cooper who died in 1952, a member of the church for 82 years. There are three communion sets for the sick, one of which, made in 1893, has a beautiful miniature chalice, paten and flagon, and was originally presented to a Rev. C.J. Whitehead.
Some Other Mysteries Features of the Church Interior Church & Manor: An Outline History The Church From Outside An Incomplete List of Incumbents and Patrons
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church
Shanklin Isle of Wight St. Blasius Old Parish Church